Sunday 15 September 2013

Savoury Tart #GBBO Week 4 Pastry, Pies and Tarts

I have to admit I was quite relieved to see this weeks Great British Bake Off focused on pastry, pies and tarts. Whilst I  love desserts and enjoyed making my petit fours for last weeks challenge, it was a monumental task! 
Now I wouldn't say I'm a pro but I do make pastry quite often at home so I was happy to be able to devise a flavoursome yet practical recipe for this weeks challenge.


mummy mishaps


Suitable on its own as a light lunch or perfect with chips and salad for tea, introducing my Bacon, Chestnut Mushroom and Caramelised Red Onion Tart in a Sage Pastry Tart



Ingredients
Pastry
250g plain flour
110g butter cubed
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of cold water
sage

Filling
300g unsmoked bacon
159g baby chestnut mushrooms
1 red onion
4 eggs
30ml milk

Put the salt, flour and chopped sage into a bowl and add the cubed butter.

Using your fingertips combine the ingredients until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

Use as much of the water as needed to bind the ingredients into a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15-30 mins.

Whilst the dough is chilling chop the mushrooms into slices or quarters and gently fry in a little oil until cooked. 

Once cooked drain any excess liquid and set aside.

In the pan used to cook the mushrooms gently fry the chopped bacon and onion slices until the bacon is cooked and the onions have caramelised.

Roll the pastry out and line a tart tin with the dough and prick the base

Blind bake the pastry for 20 mins or until it is a pale golden colour.

Beat the eggs and milk and season to taste.

Fill the pastry case with the mushroom, bacon and onion filling and pour in the beaten egg.

Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until the egg is set.
           No 'soggy bottoms' here!

For the purposes of lunch boxes tomorrow, I made individual tarts but I would usually make a big one for us all to share.

*You could add creme fraiche to the beaten egg mixture but as nobody in our house eats it, I omitted it from the recipe*

Enjoy!

For more tantalisingly tasty bakes visit Mummy Mishaps and The Crazy Kitchen



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these - I bet they tasted great..the 2nd pie with chestnuts in which is making me think of Xmas!!
    thanks for joining in

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! i would love to try one of your pies. i love the fact you added sage to the pastry and the filling sounds and look soooo good!
    thanks for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete